custom-header

History of Polk County

History of Polk County

Polk County, created on December 20, 1851, by a legislative act and also named for President James K. Polk, lies in the Coosa Valley location of Northwest Georgia. Before the 1830’s, legend has it the location was treasured by both the Creek and Cherokee Indian camps due to a big, organic sedimentary rock spring, known as the Big Spring, so ownership was cleared up by a game of ball which the Cherokees won. The Cherokees developed a village named “Charley Town” in the western part of just what was to become Polk County.

img-head-splash-3In 1838 Cherokee belongings came to an end as President Andrew Jackson decided that the Cherokee nation would certainly be by force moved to Oklahoma. A control camp, called Cedar Community, was developed near the Big Spring. This encampment ended up being the southernmost camp for the forced rounding up and also elimination of the Cherokees to Oklahoma on just what ended up being known as the “Trail of Tears”.

The Battle In between the States pertained to Polk County near the end of the war when Kilpatrick’s Calvary completely burned down the Court house and numerous structures in Cedartown, currently the region seat. Regarding the same time a wing of the Union Army of Tennessee brushed up via eastern Polk and engaged in a minor skirmish near Van Wert Church.

Polk County endured restoration and created industrial mining of hematite iron ore in the western component of the region and mining of slate in the eastern section. After the turn of the century, cotton farming came to be king and industrial giants like Goodyear and also Julliard came and also created mills where regional cotton was loomed into string and material.

Today, Polk County has a diversified economic climate with modern commercial parks in both Cedartown and Rockmart. Four lane United States 278 runs east and west in the region, and also four lane US27 runs north as well as south. The highly preferred Silver Comet Trail for hiking and biking runs from the eastern boundary at Paulding to the western border at the Alabama state line.

1 Comment